Original Carnegie Library Celebrates 100th Anniversary!
October 31, 2011
The entire community is invited to celebrate the 100th anniversary of one of Indianapolis' original Carnegie libraries during the special centennial event for the East Washington Branch of The Indianapolis Public Library on Saturday, November 12 from 1 - 4 p.m. at the East Washington Branch, 2822 E. Washington Street.
The East Washington Branch was the first library in Indianapolis to be built with funds from a $120,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The branch was dedicated on November 14, 1911. The other local branch constructed from the Carnegie fund still in existence is the Spades Park Branch of The Indianapolis Public Library, located at 1801 Nowland Avenue.
Activities for children and families will include a magic show by Don Miller of FamilyTime Entertainment, a performance by the Arsenal Technical High School show choir, balloon creations by George Flexman, face painting and craft project. A presentation on the history of the East Washington Branch and Andrew Carnegie's philanthropy to libraries will be given by William McNiece of the Marion County Historical Society. Patrons will be encouraged to enter their thoughts about the East Washington Branch in a memory book. There will also be raffles, giveaways and birthday cake throughout the afternoon.
For more information about this free Library program, call 275-4360.