CEO "Love Your Library" Tour Highlights Central Library
January 13, 2017
As part of this milestone year that commemorates Central Library's 100 years of service, Indianapolis Public Library CEO Jackie Nytes will interact with citizens about the role of Central Library and highlight new initiatives during her "Love Your Library" tour of all IndyPL locations beginning Wednesday, February 1 and continuing through March 7, 2017.
Central Library, located downtown at 40 E. St. Clair Street, provides support for IndyPL's 23 branches and houses many special collections, including first edition copies of celebrated Indiana authors and items that relate to the history of Indianapolis. Its 1917 Cret Building, designed by French architect Paul Cret and constructed of Indiana limestone, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. A 293,000-square-foot glass and steel-framed addition, designed by Evans Woollen, was completed in 2007 and offers spaces for technology, programming and events. Nearly 700,000 patrons visited Central Library in 2016.
In addition to promoting upcoming plans for Central Library's 100th anniversary, Nytes will discuss the new Center for Black Literature and Culture at Central Library, funded from a $3.1 million grant by Lilly Endowment Inc. scheduled to open in the fall. Nytes will be joined by the Center's newly-appointed Specialist, Nichelle Hayes at several visits. Nytes also will describe changes in the location of Central's various collections to better meet future needs and receive feedback on what the Library can become in the future.
"Love Your Library" tour visits are scheduled on the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, February 1 at 6 p.m.
West Indianapolis Branch, 1216 S. Kappes Street
- Friday, February 3 at 8 a.m.
Nora Branch, 8625 Guilford Avenue
- Friday, February 3 at 2 p.m.
Southport Branch, 2630 E. Stop 11 Road
- Monday, February 6 at 6 p.m.
Fountain Square Branch, 1066 Virginia Avenue
- Tuesday, February 7 at 6 p.m.
Eagle Branch, 3325 Lowry Road
- Wednesday, February 8 at 6:30 p.m.
Warren Branch, 9701 E. 21st Street
- Thursday, February 9 at 4 p.m.
Central Library, 40 E. St. Clair Street
- Friday, February 10 at 3 p.m.
College Avenue Branch, 4180 N. College Avenue
- Saturday, February 11 at 2 p.m.
Decatur Branch, 5301 Kentucky Avenue
- Monday, February 13 at 6:30 p.m.
Franklin Road Branch, 5550 S. Franklin Road
- Wednesday, February 15 at 4:30 p.m.
Haughville Branch, 2121 W. Michigan Street
- Thursday, February 16 at 4:30 p.m.
InfoZone at The Children's Museum, 3000 N. Meridian Street
- Saturday, February 18 at 2 p.m.
Pike Branch, 6525 Zionsville Road
- Monday, February 20 at 6 p.m.
Lawrence Branch, 7898 N. Hague Road
- Tuesday, February 21 at 6:30 p.m.
East Thirty-Eighth Street Branch, 5420 E. 38th Street
- Wednesday, February 22 at 6:30 p.m.
Irvington Branch, 5625 E. Washington Street
- Tuesday, February 28 at 2 p.m.
Brightwood Branch, 2435 N. Sherman Drive
- Tuesday, February 28 at 6 p.m.
Beech Grove Branch, 1101 Main Street
- Wednesday, March 1 at 2 p.m.
Wayne Branch, 198 S. Girls School Road
- Wednesday, March 1 at 6 p.m.
Spades Park Branch, 1801 Nowland Avenue
- Thursday, March 2 at 2 p.m.
Garfield Park Branch, 2502 Shelby Street
- Friday, March 3 at 2 p.m.
East Washington Branch, 2801 E. Washington Street
- Saturday, March 4 at 2 p.m.
Glendale Branch, 6101 N. Keystone Avenue
- Tuesday, March 7 at 6 p.m.
Flanner House Branch, 2424 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
For more information about these free Library meetings, call 317-275-4003.