Book characters make great birthday party themes because they are FAVORITES. The Cat in the Hat is always a hit! Below you will find everything you need to plan a fun Cat in the Hat Birthday Party on the cheap. All you need is a computer, printer, some time…and your library card! We have the books, movies & music to make your party a memorable hit.
For our Cat in the Hat Party we looked at these sources of fun and picked our very favorites. You can follow our plan or mix and match activities that make sense to you and your birthday kid. Have fun!
- IndyPL Read Right Now! Dr. Seuss Free online reading!
- PBS The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That
- Sleep Book Party Activity Book
- Online Games: Dr. Seuss Birthday Club
- Dr. Seuss Activity Kits
- Read Across America Activity Guide
- What Pet Should I Get Educator’s Guide
- Dr. Seuss Back to School Kit
- Printables: Dr. Seuss
- Website: Party Game Ideas
- Website: Outdoor Game Ideas
- Online Game: Online Games
- Online Game: Snap-O-Rama
- Online Game: Math Safari
- Printables: Classroom Activities
To get your party started, click and print this handy checklist and then the invitation of your choice, full color or fill in your own details!
Horton Ears or Paper Plate Cat in the Hat Party Hats to print and color.
1. Greeting Guests Music & Coloring Activity 15-20 min
- While the kids are coloring, play Cat in the Hat Music Videos
- Printable Eggstravaganza Picture Frame (Best to print on card stock if you have it.) Make sure each child puts their name on their own picture frame!
- How to Draw the Cat in the Hat Hand out paper and pens/pencils/crayons and have the guests learn to draw The Cat in the Hat from this great video!
2. Game 10 min
3. Read Aloud 10 min
- Read Happy Birthday to You! or the birthday boy/girl’s favorite Dr. Seuss book. List of Dr. Seuss Library Books
4. Music Craft – Make Crazy Seussical Instruments and Sing Along! 15 min
- McBoing Boing Bongos
- Seussical Musical Instruments
- IndyPL Kids’ Blog Make Your Own Instrument Pages
- Use Your IndyPL Library Card to Download These Seuss Music Albums, Horton Hears a Who Soundtrack, The Lorax Soundtrack, Download Directions
5. Game 15 min
- Cat Cat Hat Game (Like Duck, Duck Goose)
6. Take a Group Photo or Individual Photo of Each Guest (Print copies while guests are eating cake. If you have time, attach the picture to the frame guests colored during the greeting time. If you don’t have time, add the frame and photo to their take home bags!) 5 min (Print for each guest.)
7. Cake/Food Sing and eat cake 10-15 min
- Deviled Green Eggs and Ham
- Lorax Mustache Straws, Printable Pattern
- Cat in the Hat Fruit Kabobs
- The Cat’s Hat Cake
- Sneetch Snacks
- Green Eggs and HamRecipes
- Who Pudding
- The Cats Hat Parfait
- Dr Seuss Snacks
- Dr. Seuss Marshmallow Hats
- Katroo Happy Birthday to You Cake
- Cat in the Hat Tub Cake
- Pink Ink Yink Drink
8. Games 15-2o min
9. Videos During Pickup Time
10. Take Home Bags and Say Goodbye 10-15 min
You can make a printed Cat in the Hat Activity book for guests to take home. Follow these links to printable pages. Add your own small favors or treats.
- Printable Birthday Cake Maze
- Printable Birthdays Are Amazing Maze
- Printable Birthday Cards
- Printable Cat in the Hat Coloring Sheet
- Printable Come In and Play Door Hanger
- Printable Printables
- Printable And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street Connect the Dots
- Printable Horton Hears a Who Connect the Dots
- Finger Puppets
- Cat in the Hat Spot the Difference
Thank You Notes:
- Printable Thank You Certificate
List of Dr. Seuss Library Books to check out.