Book characters make great birthday party themes because they are FAVORITES. Clifford the Big Red Dog is always a hit! Below you will find everything you need to plan a fun Clifford Birthday Party on the cheap. All you need is a computer, printer, some time…and your library card! We have the books, movies & music to make your party a memorable hit.
For our Clifford Party we looked at these sources of fun and picked our very favorites. You can follow our plan or mix and match activities that make sense to you and your birthday kid. Have fun!
- Official Website: Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Scholastic: Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Party Kit: Clifford’s Biggest Birthday Ever
- Host a Clifford Birthday Party
- Clifford Birthday Party Games
- Printable: Big Red Printables
- Printable: Clifford’s Coloring Pages
- Online Games: PBS Clifford
- Online Games: Big Red Games
- NPR’s 2012 Norman Bridwell Interview on the occasion of Clifford’s 50th birthday. Did you know Norman was from Kokomo, Indiana?
- SLJ’s Interview with Norman Bridwell
To get your party started, click and print this handy checklist and then the invitation of your choice, full color or fill in your own details!
Clifford Ears, Party Hat & Balloon Tags to cut out and color.
1. Greeting Guests Music & Coloring Activity Pass out paper and crayons so that kids can color or learn to draw cliffordwhile they wait for other guests to arrive.15-20 min
2. Game Pin the Dog Tag on Clifford; Printable: Large Clifford and Tags 10 min
3. Read Aloud Read Clifford’s Birthday Party or the birthday boy/girl’s favorite Clifford book. List of Clifford Library Books 10 min
Clifford Books to Read Online:
- Clifford’s Big Dig or Clifford Cava un Hoyo
- Here Clifford or ¡Aquí Clifford!
- Where is Emily? or ¿Dónde está Emily?
- Emily Elizabeth Goes to School or Emily Elizabeth va a la Escuela
- Read Cleo’s Fair Share – When Mrs. Diller gives Cleo a toy for being a good dog, she doesn’t WANT to share – even with T-Bone and Clifford!
4. Music Craft – Make Crazy Instruments and Sing Along! 15 min
5. Game Clifford Hot Dog Game (Like Hot Potato) 15 min
6. Take a Group Photo or Individual Photo of Each Guest (Print copies while guests are eating cake. If you have time, attach the picture to the frame guests colored during the greeting time. If you don’t have time, add the frame and photo to their take home bags!) 5 min (Print for each guest.)
7. Cake/Food Sing and eat cake 10-15 min
8. Games Clifford Paws Scavenger Hunt 15-20 min
9. Take Home Bags and Say Goodbye 10-15 min
You can make a printed Clifford Activity book for guests to take home. Follow these links to printable pages. Add your own small favors or treats.
Thank You Notes:
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Clifford the Champion
- Clifford the Firehouse Dog
- Clifford Visits the Hospital
- Clifford Visits the Zoo
- Clifford’s Birthday Party
- Clifford’s First Snow