Stumpkin is round. Stumpkin is orange. Stumpkin is a pumpkin with no stem! In the days leading up to Halloween Stumpkin dreams of becoming a jack-o-lantern, but is passed over as shoppers choose all shapes and sizes of other pumpkins, even a gourd, but not him. Will anyone come by and give Stumpkin a chance?
Stumpkin is a lovely, simple story about perceived flaws that are not flaws at all! The endearing Stumpkin might just inspire your kids to choose differently at the pumpkin patch this year. They also might like the fact that Stumpkin’s story doesn’t take place in a pumpkin patch or on a farm. Stumpkin is a city pumpkin:
“It was a few days before Halloween. Outside a little shop in a big city, a shopkeeper placed some pumpkins on the shelves.”
It is always fun to see your own experience in a picture book. The illustrations of jack-o-lanterns in the city are a refreshing change to pumpkin stories that are typically set in the country. Stumpkin is a great addition to fall story time! Choosing a pumpkin at a store, pumpkin patch or orchard is a favorite Halloween activity for small children. Here are some free online books, printables & activities about pumpkins, visiting a pumpkin patch and carving a jack ‘o lantern.
FREE Online eBooks about Pumpkins:
More FREE Online Reading:
- All Ready to Read Booklists – links to free online books, activities and more ideas to talk, sing, read, write and play at home!
- Storytime Online – 100 Free Video Read Alouds
- 500+ Free Video Read Alouds & eBooks for Kids with an iPad
- Download and Stream for Kids – Free with your indyPL Library Card.
Websites, Activities & Printables:
- Read Right Now! Halloween
- Online Game: Curious George Pumpkin Boo!
- Printable: PBS Kids Arthur Pumpkin Carving Templates
- Printable: PBS Kids Curious George Pumpkin Carving Templates
- Printable: Bert & Ernie Jack-o-latern Stencil
- Printable: Pumpkin Mini Book
- Printable: Jack o’lantern Mini Book
- Printable: Pumpkin Life Cycle Mini Book
- Printable: Clifford the Big Red Dog Pumpkin Dot to Dot
- Printable: Life Cycle of a Pumpkin Coloring Sheet
Use your indyPL Library Card to check out books at any of our locations, or check out e-books and e-audiobooks from home right to your device. Click on a book jacket below to request a book or download it. Need help? Call or ask a Library staff member at any of our locations, text a librarian at 317 333-6877, or leave a comment.
Recommended By: Janet Spaulding, Selection Services